Video Evidence of Driving Offences (1119A/21)
I would be most grateful if you could please assist with the following queries:
- As part of its enforcement of driving offences, does the force accept the submission of video evidence by members of the public to report driving offences, whether the recording device is handheld or attached to a vehicle or rider (e.g. dash/handlebar/helmet cameras)?
If yes, for each of the past four years (2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020, please provide answers for each year separately):
- How many submissions of video evidence were received by the force relating to reports of driving offences?
- How many of these reports:
- Resulted in prosecution (court action)?
- Resulted in a fixed penalty notice being issued and accepted?
- Resulted in a driver being offered an NDORS course as an alternative to prosecution/FPN?
- Resulted in a warning letter?
- Resulted in no further action being taken?
- Resulted in some other action being taken (please specify)?
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.