Motoring Offences (1730A/21)
Please could you provide a count of the number of offences recorded by your constabulary for each of the following offences related to motoring for the specified time periods:
1) Use a motor vehicle on a road which was not fitted with an exhaust system including a silencer (offence code: RC86065)
2) Use a motor vehicle on a road with a defective exhaust system / silencer (offence code: RC86066)
3) Drive a vehicle on a road and fail to stop the engine when stationary for prevention of noise / exhaust emissions (offence code: RC86093)
4) Cause sounding of vehicle horn whilst stationary (offence code: RC86394)
5) Cause motor vehicle horn to be sounded on restricted road at night (offence code: RC86395)
6) Use a motor vehicle on a road in a manner as to cause excessive noise (offence code: RC86092)
7) Use a handheld mobile phone / device while driving a motor vehicle on a road – endorsable offence (offence code: RC86820)
*Note: please disregard the offence code if it is wrong or outdated in your constabulary and instead use the name/exact nature of the offence.
Please provide me with the above counts for each offence for the following time periods:
November 2016 – October 2017
November 2017 – October 2018
November 2018 – October 2019
November 2019 – October 2020
November 2020 – October 2021
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.