Female Genital Mutilation (791A/23)
I would like to request the following data from January 2018 up to and including December 2022, with the data broken down for each calendar year:
- How many cases of alleged Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) were reported?
- How many of the cases of alleged FGM were reported by health and social care professionals or teachers (as required by the mandatory reporting duty under section 5B of the 2003 FGM Act)?
- How many of the cases of alleged FGM were referred to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)?
- How many arrests were made in connection with a case of alleged FGM?
- How many FGM protection orders have been issued?
Please see attached (791A_23_attachment.pdf).
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.