Complaints of Racial Discrimination (339A/22)
1) How many complaints have been received in the past five years in relation to alleged racial discrimination by officers/staff on other officers/staff ?
2) Have any been upheld? If so, how many?
3) Can you please provide details about each upheld complaint (ie the nature of complaint, date committed, number of officers involved , number of officers dismissed)?
4) In each case where a complaint was upheld, what action was taken against individuals concerned?
5) How many cases of racial discrimination have gone to an employment tribunal within the past 5 years?
Clarification received 16/03/2022:
Could I get both claims lodged and resulting hearings please
Our data are not organised in such a way as to allow us to provide all of the information requested within the appropriate (cost) limit under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act. In relation to question 5, records of this type prior to 2019 have been archived and are therefore not located or stored in readily retrievable format. Therefore, in order to determine what information we hold prior to this time would require a manual trawl through physical archives, which would exceed the appropriate limit (FOIA, s.12).
This means that the cost of providing you with the information is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information exceeds the ‘appropriate level’ as stated in the Freedom of Information (Fees and Appropriate Limit) Regulations 2004.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000, this letter acts as a Refusal Notice for this part of the request and if one part of a request exceeds the fees limit then S12 of the Act applies to the whole request.
However, under Section 16 of the Act I have a duty to provide advice and assistance in relation to your request and can provide information for the remainder of your request as this was retrieved during our initial research. Please see attached document.
This should not be taken as a precedent that additional information would be supplied outside of the time/fees legislation for any subsequent requests.
Further information on section 12 of FOI is available here:
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.