Under 17 TWOC (13688_17)
I am requesting the following information under the Freedom of Information Act:
- How many drivers aged 17 and under have been charged with taking a vehicle without consent (defined under section 12 of the Theft Act 1968) in each sequential year 2013,2014,2015,2016 and so far in 2017?
- Please can this information (relating to taking a vehicle without consent) include the age of the drivers who have been charged
- Could this information also please specify in which police division area these drivers were arrested
- How many drivers aged 17 and under have been charged with aggravated vehicle taking (Aggravated Vehicle-Taking Act 1992) that at any time after the vehicle was unlawfully taken (whether by that person or another) and before it was recovered, the vehicle was driven, or death, injury or damage was caused. In each sequential year 2013,2014,2015,2016 and so far in 2017?
- Please can the information relating to aggravated vehicle taking include the age of the drivers who have been charged.
- Could this information (relating to aggravated vehicle taking) also please specify in which police division area these drivers were arrested.
Please find attached our response.
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.