Stop and Search (7697_15)
1. Total number of stop and search across the force in 2014/15, by ethnicity
Local Policing Units
2. Total number of stop and search for each LPU in 2014/15, by ethnicity
3. Total number of stop and search for each LPU in 2013/14, by ethnicity
4. Total number of stop and search for each LPU in 2012/13, by ethnicity
5. Total number of stop and search for each LPU in 2014/15, by reason for the search
6. Total number of stop and search for each LPU in 2013/14, by reason for the search
7. Total number of stop and search for each LPU in 2012/13, by reason for the search
8. Total number of arrests arising from stop and search for each LPU in 2014/15, by reason for the search
9. The range of outcomes arising from stop and search for each LPU in 2014/15, by reason for the search
Please see the attached document
Please note, we are aware of inaccuracies contained within the older/historic stop and search data that we hold. West Midlands Police are committed to improving the quality of our data and therefore invested in a new IT based recording system (eSearch) in order to address these inaccuracies. Between April 2014 and October 2014 this system was implemented across the whole Force area. Following implementation of eSearch, data quality and accountability are vastly improved.
In order to further raise overall standards, all front line officers within West Midlands Police have recently undergone refresher training in relation to their Stop and Search powers.
Date of Birth / Ages
Data on ages is calculated from the date of birth as and where recorded (the subject of a stop and search can refuse to provide their date of birth) on our systems. However, as explained above we are aware that data we hold on those who were subject to Stop and Search contains inaccuracies. Researching the reasons for these inaccuracies we have discovered the following examples:
Human error – e.g. there are at least 800 ‘0’ year olds in the attached data relate to records where the date of the search is the same as the recorded date of birth.
The date of birth has been recorded incorrectly by our scanning and interpreting equipment. If the handwriting is not easily distinguishable, then errors can occur. For example, a ‘6’ can be interpreted as a ‘0’.
The data provided is therefore subject to the inaccuracies highlighted and as a consequence, if you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data, we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.