Standing Authority (5324_14)
I’d like to request the following information under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Details of any Standing Authority in place covering officers carrying a handgun as a sidearm.
- Whether any Standing Authority in place allows for the overt arming of officers.
- Whether any Standing Authority in place allows for overt arming of officers on routine duties (e.g. whilst on traffic patrol).
- Whether ARV officers patrol overtly armed or with weapons retained in secured arms cabinets in the ARV.
- The date since which any Standing Authorities have been in place.
- If Standing Authorities/specific authorities do not allowed for overt arming, details of any changes to the Standing Authority or specific authority over the past 2 years which have allowed for officers to be overtly armed (e.g. the reason for the increased risk assessment, number of officers overtly armed, duration of overt arming)
- The number of officers authorised to carry weapons (please state whether they are authorised to carry weapons overtly).
- The total number of officers in the force.
Please find attached our response (5324_Attachment_01).
Whilst the majority of information has been disclosed in the response above, we are withholding some information since we consider that the exemption below applies to it.
REASONS FOR DECISION
The Freedom of Information Act places two responsibilities on public authorities, the first of which is to confirm what information it holds and secondly to then disclose that information, unless exemptions apply.
In this case some information is exempt by virtue of the following exemption:
Section 31 (1) (a) (b) (c) (Law enforcement)
This exemption and explanatory note is shown here:
In line with the above, I am required to complete a Prejudice Test/Public Interest Test (PIT) on disclosure. Please find this PIT attached (5324_PIT_01).