Under the Freedom of Information Act I would like to request the following information:
1) How many people have been a) arrested b) charged and c) convicted for the offence of squatting in a residential building under section 144 of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012?
2) Of those convicted how many resulted in a custodial sentence?
3) For each conviction please state for what the punishment was (eg seven days in jail, £200 fine, 200 hours community service, otherwise dealt with etc).
I would like the information from 1 September 2012 – when the offence was introduced – to 1 September 2013.
1) Offence – Knowingly as a Trespasser Live / Intend to Live in a Residential Building Between 01/09/2012 – 01/09/2013
No Further Action – 6
Charged – 1
TOTAL – 7
2) The one offender who was charged with the above offence resulted in a custodial sentence.
3) The offender was fined £50 and ordered to serve 1 day’s detention and pay a victim surcharge of £15.00.