Sexual Assault (1666/15)
I am emailing to request, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, information regarding the rape/sexual assault of university students.
Please could you provide the following information for the years 2012, 2013, 2014 and the data available for 2015 so far;
- a) The total number of crimes recorded as rape
- b) The total number of crimes recorded as sexual assault*
- c) The total number of crimes recorded as rape on university students**.
- d) The total number of crimes recorded as sexual assault on university students**.
**If the term university student is not a searchable tag or term, narrow the search by looking for students over the age of 18.
If there is any need for clarification, please do not hesitate to telephone or email me.
*definition of sexual assault. I understand sexual assault crimes are recorded as many different things. Please include in the search for sexual assault crimes the following (not an exhaustive list)¿
– 17A Sexual assault on a male aged 13 and over
– 17B sexual assault on a male child under 13
– 20A Sexual assault on a Female aged 13 and over
– 20B Sexual Assault on a Female Child under 13
– 73 Abuse of Position of Trust of a Sexual Nature
– 88A Sexual Grooming
– 88C Other Miscellaneous Sexual Offences
– 88D Unnatural Sexual Offences
– 88E Exposure and Voyeurism
Please find attached our response.
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.