Sex For Rent (13402/17)
This information request relates to “sex for rent” arrangements. I.e. where a “landlord” offers free accommodation to an individual on the proviso that that individual carries out acts of a sexual nature on the landlord in return for the accommodation.
In July this year the Justice Secretary indicated that sex for rent arrangements are illegal under existing sexual offences legislation. He said that sections 52 and 54 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 meant that sex for rent arrangements are illegal because “an offence is committed when a person offers accommodation in return for sex, as they are inciting/causing another person to have sex with them in return for ‘payment’.”
In light of the above please could you provide the following information in relation to the last 5 years (i.e. from January 1st 2013 up until the date of this request):
- Have you ever carried out any investigations where a “sex for rent” arrangement was a component part of the investigation?
- Have you ever arrested any individual for advertising and/or entering into a “sex for rent” arrangement?
- Have you ever charged any individual for advertising and/or entering into a “sex for rent” arrangement?
- Have there been any successful prosecutions (i.e. found guilty) of any individual for advertising and/or entering into a “sex for rent” arrangement?
- In relation to 1-4 above, have you ever communicated with the website Craigslist as part of your enquiries? If so, please provide copies of those communications. If you cannot provide a copy of the communications, please provide summaries.
- In relation to 1-4 above, please provide details of the offence that was being investigated. Please provide summaries of the investigation in each case.
- Please let me know the total number of charges that you have brought pursuant to s52 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (regardless of whether they related to “sex for rent” arrangements).
- In relation to question 7 above, please let me know how many (if any) of those cases related, in any way, to an individual advertising and/or entering into a “sex for rent” arrangement?
Please present the information in whole years (and a partial year in respect of 2017).
I am writing to inform you that we have searched our records and the information you requested is not held by West Midlands Police. S52 of this act is a non-recordable offence. We therefore have no crime records. We have also searched other force systems and can find no records in relation to your request