Police Trainees (15740/19)
Could I please request the following information under the Freedom of Information Act:
- Could you please confirm the annual salary paid to police trainees during their initial training period (i.e. the approximate 12 weeks training period prior to a police trainee becoming a probationary police Constable) for each of the following dates:
1.9.2017, 1.9.2018 & 1.9.2019
Could you please comment upon your forces current position regarding the implementation of the Police Educational Qualifications Framework (PEQF), namely:
- Has your force initiated any intake of apprenticeship police constables? If yes, what percentage of all new recruits in the last calendar year have entered the force via this route?
- Has your force implemented the new ‘pre-join degree’ route into policing? If yes, how many people have enrolled to complete the degree in Professional Policing?
- What percentage of all new recruits in each of the following years have been a degree-holder upon their recruitment to your force?
2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 (year to date)
- What percentage of your current total police officer workforce, who did not have a degree upon their initial recruitment to the force, have subsequently gone on to achieve a degree whilst working as a police officer?
- What percentage of your current total police officer workforce currently have a degree?
Our data are not organised in such a way as to allow us to provide this information within the appropriate (cost) limit within the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act (see ‘Reason for Decision’ below).
Although excess cost removes the force’s obligations under the Freedom of Information Act, as a gesture of goodwill I have supplied information, relative to your request, retrieved before it was realised that the fees limit would be exceeded (see attached). I trust this is helpful, but it does not affect our legal right to rely on the fees regulations for the remainder of the request.
REASON FOR DECISION
Please note that researching each individual case would exceed the appropriate limit (FOIA, s.12). Qualifications data has never been loaded into the database that would contain degree information, therefore we are unable to answer questions 4, 5 and 6.
The cost of compliance with the whole of your request is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond, i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information would exceed the appropriate costs limit under section 12(1) of the FOI Act 2000. For West Midlands Police, the appropriate limit is set at £450, as prescribed by the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004, S.I. 3244.
Further information on section 12 of FOI is available here: