Missing Persons (8259/19)
I am sending this request under the Freedom of Information Act to ask for the following information:
1) Please can you tell me how many missing persons’ cases in your police force area were initially assigned the following risk levels: no apparent risk (Absent), low risk, medium risk, high risk each in the calendar years;
2) Please can you breakdown the information identified in the answers to Question 1 by gender of the individuals
3) Please can you further breakdown the information identified in the answers to Question 2 by whether the individual was a child or an adult (under 18 or 18 and over)
4) Please can you further breakdown the information identified in the answers to Question 3 by the ethnicity of the individuals
5) Please can you further breakdown the information identified in the answers to Question 4 by the outcomes of the cases
Our data are not organised in such a way as to allow us to provide this information within the appropriate (cost) limit within the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act (see ‘Reason for Decision’ below).
Although excess cost removes the force’s obligations under the Freedom of Information Act, as a gesture of goodwill I have supplied information, relative to your request, retrieved before it was realised that the fees limit would be exceeded (see attached). I trust this is helpful, but it does not affect our legal right to rely on the fees regulations for the remainder of the request.
REASON FOR DECISION
Please note that researching each individual case would exceed the appropriate limit (FOIA, s.12). No apparent risk / absent is not recorded on our missing persons database, therefore we would need to conduct a manual search of our Command and Control logs which would exceed the FOI time limit, as a result we are unable to fully answer question 1.
The cost of compliance with the whole of your request is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond, i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information would exceed the appropriate costs limit under section 12(1) of the FOI Act 2000. For West Midlands Police, the appropriate limit is set at £450, as prescribed by the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004, S.I. 3244.