Missing Persons (14614/19)
I am writing under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request information about missing persons cases.
For each year since 2013, including 2019 so far if possible, please provide details of:
- How many missing persons cases have been investigated in each year
- How many of those missing persons are under the age of 16 (per year)?
- How many missing persons Investigations have been closed unsuccessfully over the last five years?
- How many of these cases are still active?
- How many of these resulted in the missing person being a victim of murder/homicide?
If possible within the cost limits of the FOIA (if not exclude):
- What is the youngest missing person each year and detail whether they are active or closed. If closed, please detail the outcome – whether found or death etc.3
- How many missing person reports do you receive, on average, either weekly, monthly or yearly (whichever record is the easiest for you to retrieve?)
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.