Lost Property (2759_18)
I would like to request the following information under the FOI Act 2000.
I would like to request the following information:
1. How many items have been handed in at Coventry Central Police Station in 2017?
2. What were the items handed in? E.g Keys, bank cards, wallets, pets, drugs, weapons etc. Please be as specific as possible eg. Pets – snake, Drugs – 1g cannabis, Weapons – crossbow, knuckle dusters etc.
3. What is the force’s policy for logging lost property which is handed in at police stations?
4. What happens to the different types of property if it is not claimed?
5. What are the timescales for the force keeping lost property?
Please find attached our response.
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.