Hate Crime (1985/17)
1. Please could you provide the number of all reports marked as ‘homophobic’ or a sexual orientation hate crime in each of the following years (either calendar or financial, however this information is held) 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016?
1. (a) If possible, could you provide the victim’s gender.
1. (b) If possible, the offence title of the report (e.g. verbal harassment).
1. (c) If possible, if a charge was filed against the alleged offender.
2. Please could you provide the number of reports of assault offences/violence against the person with injury marked as ‘homophobic’ or a sexual orientation hate crime in each of the following years (either calendar or financial, however this information is held) 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016?
2. (a) If possible, please could you provide the victim’s gender.
2. (b) If possible the offence title (e.g. assault occasion ABH).
2. (c) If possible, if a charge was filed against the alleged offender.
Please find attached our response.
Please note that table 2 is a subset of table 1 and table 4 is a subset of table 3.
Please also note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.