Hate Crime (12160/19)
I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information in regards to the number of hate crimes relating to sexuality in Birmingham. I would like to know:
- How many hate crimes have taken place each month from June 2018 to June 2019?
2. I would like these characterised by the gender of the victim and the gender of the perpetrator.
3. Categorised by the areas of Birmingham these have happened in (if possible give street names for the most common).
4. How many of these reports lead to further action such as a trial?
5. Categorise by the type of crime (e.g. verbal abuse, physical assualt etc)
6. The number of victims who were admitted to hospital as a result of the attack.
Our data are not organised in such a way as to allow us to provide this information within the appropriate (cost) limit within the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act (see ‘Reason for Decision’ below).
Although excess cost removes the force’s obligations under the Freedom of Information Act, as a gesture of goodwill I have supplied information, relative to your request, retrieved before it was realised that the fees limit would be exceeded (see attached). I trust this is helpful, but it does not affect our legal right to rely on the fees regulations for the remainder of the request.
REASON FOR DECISION
Please note that researching each individual case would exceed the appropriate limit (FOIA, s.12). For question 4 we can only provide outcomes, such as charge, caution etc. We are unable to answer question 6 as this would involve a manual search which would exceed the FOI time limit.
The cost of compliance with the whole of your request is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond, i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information would exceed the appropriate costs limit under section 12(1) of the FOI Act 2000. For West Midlands Police, the appropriate limit is set at £450, as prescribed by the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004, S.I. 3244.
Further information on section 12 of FOI is available here: