FPNs for Careless Driving (637A/20)
- How many drivers have you charged (e.g. issued a fine/fixed penalty notice) with careless driving, broken down by calendar year, since 2013?
- How many drivers have you charged (e.g. issued a fine/fixed penalty notice) for middle lane hogging offences specifically, broken down by calendar year, since 2013?
- Please provide location/roads for all fines/penalties issued for careless driving (or the three roads where there have been the most careless driving offences) from 2019 and 2020 thus far broken down by calendar year
- The total amount in income from any fines/penalties issued to drivers for ‘careless driving’ broken down by calendar year, since 2018?
- The total amount in income from any fines/penalties issued to drivers for middle-lane hogging offences, broken down by calendar year, since 2018?
Our data are not organised in such a way as to allow us to provide this information within the appropriate (cost) limit within the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act. In relation to questions 2 and 5, we would have to manually review each ticket that was issued for careless driving because lane hogging forms part of the due car offence. However, to conduct this search which would exceed the appropriate limit (FOIA, s.12).
This means that the cost of providing you with the information is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information exceeds the ‘appropriate level’ as stated in the Freedom of Information (Fees and Appropriate Limit) Regulations 2004.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000, this letter acts as a Refusal Notice for this part of the request and if one part of a request exceeds the fees limit then S12 of the Act applies to the whole request.
Further information on section 12 of FOI is available here:
However, in accordance with Section 16 of the Act I have a duty to provide advice and assistance in relation to your request and can provide information for the remainder of your request as this was retrieved during our initial research. Please see attached documents.
These data should be interpreted with caution; the figures provided are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.