fatal missing person cases from the year 2019/2020 (650/20)
- The cause of death of fatal missing person cases from the year 2019/2020; specifically:
- Please provide a count of all cases of a missing person recorded in the West Midlands Police area who were found deceased during the period 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020 (to include cases where the individual was initially reported missing prior to this period);
- With the count above (a) as the total, please provide sub-totals for the cause of death recorded in these cases (e.g. accident, suicide, homicide, natural causes, unknown); and
- If possible, please provide information on the age of missing people in each cause of death category (under 18 / 18 an over / not known) and their gender (male / female / other / not known).
- In addition, please also provide the same data from 2018/2019.
Please note: if this section (section 2) makes this whole FOI request exceed the permissible limit of cost of compliance, then please only process section 1, above.
Please find enclosed our response.
|Total Number of Missing Persons Found Deceased 2019/20 = 30|
|Total Cases found 2019/20||2||22||2||4||–|
|Age not Recorded||–||–||–||–||–|
|Total Number of Missing Persons Found Deceased 2018/19 =16|
|Total Cases found 2018/19||–||12||1||1||2|
|Age not recorded||–||–||–||–||–|
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.