Distracted Driving (4059/18)
I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information:
- How many people were arrested by West Midlands Police for being on their phone whilst driving in the 2017?
- How many people were charged by West Midlands Police with death by dangerous driving in a case involving distraction by a phone in 2017?
- How many people have been involved in a fatal accident as a result of a car crash involving a driver using their phone whilst driving in 2017?
- Please can West Midlands Police provide any relevant incident reports of people being arrested for using their phone whilst driving?
- Since the new laws came into place on March 1 2017 how many drivers have been disqualified from driving by West Midlands Police after being caught using their phone whilst driving?
- How many people have been arrested for drink driving in 2017 by West Midlands Police?
- How many people have been disqualified from driving by West Midlands Police as a result of drink driving in 2017?
- How many people have been in a fatal accident as a result of drink driving in 2017?
Please can you provide your answers for Q1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 in a table giving age and gender of the drivers. I have put an example table below:
Q1 Male Female
18 3 1
46 2 0
76 2 4
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.