Dating App crime figures ( 1498A/22)
I would like to request that a free text search (or equivalent) of your crime database is carried out. To help improve accuracy, I would be grateful if such a search could be narrowed to reports of the following offences:
19C Rape of a Female aged 16 and over
19F Rape of a Male aged 16 and over
19J Rape of a Female – Multiple Undefined
19K Rape of a Male – Multiple Undefined Offender
17A Sexual Assault on a Male aged 13 and over
20A Sexual Assault on a Female aged 13 and over
22A Causing Sexual Activity without Consent
88C Other Miscellaneous Sexual Offence
Harassment / stalking:
8R Malicious Communications
8U Controlling or Coercive Behaviour
For the above specified offences, I would like to request the following free text searches (or equivalent) is carried out of your crime database for the following terms:
(v) “Dating app”
Following a search in the parameters specified, please
- identify the number of offence records containing the above phrases between January 1 2017 and November 1 2022
- provide a breakdown of the different offences recorded that included the above search terms,
- provide a breakdown of the different offences recorded that included the above search terms by calendar year,
- provide an outcome for each investigation, broken down by offence and year.
Please find attached (1498A 22 attachment) our response.
Keyword searches are notoriously unreliable, the reasons why searches using this method are not reliable include (but are not limited to) the following: –
- a) Searches rely on the keywords being spelt correctly with no grammatical errors
- b) Searches rely on the keywords actually being mentioned in the summary description of the record – if they are mentioned anywhere else within the record but not in the summary, then they will not feature in any results
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently, statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large-scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are considered when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be considered when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.