Cannabis Offences (6662/19)
I am writing to ascertain the current state of policing in relation to cannabis, and other drugs.
As such, I would be grateful if you could send me the following information:
Please answers all questions with reference to data from your local police authority area.
- How many people were prosecuted for cannabis possession offences in 2018?
- How many people were cautioned for cannabis possession offences in 2018?
- Do you have any stated policy on the prosecution of those suspected of cannabis possession? If so, what is your policy?
- Do you have any stated policy on the investigation of those suspected of cannabis possession? If so, what is your policy?
- How many people were cautioned for possession of a) Class A drugs b) Class B drugs other than cannabis c) Class C drugs other than cannabis in 2018?
- How many people were convicted of possession of a) Class A drugs B) Class B drugs other than cannabis c) Class C drugs other than cannabis in 2018?
Please find attached our response.
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.