Allegations Substantiated (549A/20)
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, please can you provide me with responses to the following from current data provided as of today 27th July 2020, or from the most recent point before then when figures are available:
1) The total numbers of active-duty police officers in the force?
2) The total number of active-duty police officers who have had an allegation about their conduct substantiated?
3) The total number of active-duty police officers who have had at least two allegations about their conduct substantiated?
4) The most number of times allegations have been made against a single active-duty officer?
5) The most number of times allegations have been substantiated against a single officer within the last 5 years? Please include officers who have since been dismissed
6) The most number of times allegations have been substantiated against a single officer over use of force within the last 5 years? Please include officers who have since been dismissed
Active-duty police officer refers to a serving officer.
Allegations refer to any complaint made against an officer and held on their record.
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.