Acid Attacks (1749_18)
I would like request statistics on corrosive fluid offences recorded in the West Midlands area.
1. I would like to request the number of offences where the feature code `Acid – Boiling Water – Cigarette-Burning. is recorded on the crime log between 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2017 inclusive, broken down by month where possible; and
2. The percentage and or number of said offences mentioned in 1. That were recorded as Violent Offences within the category `Violence against the Person also broken down by month; and
3. Where available the percentage and or number of said offences mentioned in 1. That were flagged as Hate Crimes also broken down by month; and
4. The ethnicity, age and gender of victims of the said Violent Offences mentioned in 2. Broken down by month; and
5. The ethnicity, age and gender of suspects in the said Violent Offences mentioned in 2. Broken down by month; and
6. The outcomes of the said Violent Offences mentioned in 2. Broken down by month; and
7. of the said positive outcomes mentioned in 6. The ethnicity, age and gender of suspects broken down by month.
Please find attached our response.
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of incidents/crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.