1. Please tell me the number of recorded offences under s.15A of the Sexual Offences Act (Home Office recording code 71/17) recorded from (and including) October 1, 2018, until (and including) April 2, 2019.
2. Where possible I would like to know the age and gender of the victim, broken down into age groups: 11 and under, 12-15, 16 and over.
3. Please tell me the age and gender of the youngest victim.
4. Please tell me all the forms of communication (eg. text message, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Kik etc.) that have been recorded as having been used in connection with recorded offences under s.15A of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 from (and including) October 1, 2018, until (and including) April 2, 2019, and the number of times each method was recorded.
5. Please tell me how many times a cyber flag was attached to the recorded crime for these dates.
I suggest a table as follows:
Total number of offences Number of female victims Number of male victims Age and gender of the youngest victim Method of communication used Number of times each method was used Number of times a cyber flag was attached to a crime
11 and under 11 and under
16 and over 16 and over
If any part of the request proves too time-consuming, I would prefer for you to:
(a) Just answer 1, 2, 3 and 4; or
(b) Just answer 1, 2 and 3; or
(c) Just answer question 1
Please be advised that the information that you have requested is not available in a readily retrievable format in relation to the number of times each method was recorded (part of Question 4) and information in relation to cyber flags (Question 5) as we do not have a central recording category which records this information. Therefore we have provided Question 1/ 2/ 3 and part of 4 as you suggested alternative options within your request.
The cost of compliance with the whole of your request is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond, i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information would exceed the appropriate costs limit under section 12(1) of the FOI Act 2000. For West Midlands Police, the appropriate limit is set at £450, as prescribed by the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004, S.I. 3244.
Therefore the cost of providing you with the information is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information exceeds the ‘appropriate level’ as stated in the Freedom of Information (Fees and Appropriate Limit) Regulations 2004.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000, this letter acts as a Refusal Notice for this part of the request and if one part of a request exceeds the fees limit then S12 of the Act applies to the whole request
However, In accordance with Section 16 of the Act I have a duty to provide advice and assistance in relation to your request and can provide the information requested for questions xxx as this was retrieved during our initial research. This should not be taken as a precedent that additional information would be supplied outside of the time/fees legislation for any subsequent requests
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.