I appreciate your suggestions for revising my request to meet time thresholds and am happy to proceed this way.
We could locate and extract, within the cost limit, the answers to questions 1, 2, and 5. For question 3 we are unable to provide prosecution data but we can give those where the clear up code was charge. For question 6 we can give those where a caution was given for Perverting the Course of Justice where the victim in the original crime was cautioned for a false report. For question 8 decisions on charging are made by The Crown Prosecution Service.
With regards to sexual assaults against females aged 16 and above, could you please answer the following:
1. The number of rape claims made and whether against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
2. The number of rape claims investigated and whether against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
3. The number of rape claim prosecutions and whether against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
4. The number of rape claim convictions and whether against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
5. The number of rape claims found to be false and whether the claim against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
6. The number of false rape claims resulting in a caution and whether the claim was against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
7. The number of false rape claims resulting in a conviction and whether the claim was against a stranger or a partner/spouse.
8. Your specified criteria/policy for being able to charge someone for making a false rape claim.
Please find attached our response.
Please note that these data should be interpreted with caution. Comparing numbers of crimes can be misleading and does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of someone being a victim of crime. In addition, the number of incidents/crimes recorded in an area over a period of time can be influenced by a number of factors. Consequently statistics on incidents/crimes for one period may not necessarily be a good indicator of future incidents in that area.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.