I am writing to you to request the following information under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000 or equivalent FOI legislation:
- Copies of any policies and / or procedures the police force follow when undertaking Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Investigations or investigations of an equivalent nature.
- In lieu of any policies and / or procedures, can the police force please provide an overview of the steps they ordinarily follow when undertaking such investigations, including steps to obtain relevant evidence?
- Can Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Investigations be conducted in instances in which the vulnerable adult(s) concerned is deceased?
- Is it normal practice for the police force to interview individuals accused and / or suspected of causing harm and / or abusing a vulnerable adult(s)? Are there any circumstances in which the police force will not interview the accused?
- Is it normal practice for the police to interview the vulnerable adult(s) concerned as part of the Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Investigation? Are there any circumstances in which the police force will not interview the vulnerable adult(s)?
- Are there any legal requirements to notify a vulnerable adult(s) they are subject to a Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Investigation?
- In circumstance in which the vulnerable adult(s) is deceased or mentally incapacitated, are there any legal requirements to notify their relatives, executors and / or administrators that they are subject to a Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults investigation?
- Are there any legal requirements to notify the accused they are subject to a Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Investigation?
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.