- How many police officers within your police service have a criminal conviction. Please also state how many of these convictions relate to criminal offences relating to (a) physical violence, or (b) dishonesty.
- What steps has your police service taken to inquire whether any police officer recruited from any other police force has had a criminal conviction, especially relating to criminal offences relating to physical violence or dishonesty.
- What steps are taken by your police service to ensure that no police officer who is given responsibility for carrying firearms or use of a Taser has never received a criminal conviction for any offence relating to physical violence.
1. There are currently 28 officers* with criminal convictions serving with West Midlands Police (3 with convictions relating to physical violence and 2 with convictions relating to dishonesty).
*Please note that some of the above officers are still subject to internal disciplinary procedures which could result in the officer leaving the Force.
2. Full vetting checks will be carried out on the applicant (the same process as a new recruit applying to join). If any convictions/cautions are recorded on police systems, these would be found when the vetting checks were carried out. Enquiries will also be made with the officer’s home force.
3. Checks for suitability are carried out which will include conviction checks and examination of discipline records.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.