I wonder if you could provide the following information:
1) What is the geographical area of motorway covered by West Midlands Police?
2) How many speed enforcement cameras are currently active on the M42?
3) How many speed enforcement cameras are currently active on the M6?
4) Are these cameras housed in the overhead gantries, or at the side of the motorway?
5) What speed limits are enforced by these cameras? Is it just the variable speed limits, or
national speed limit also?
6) Is it still true that no fixed speed cameras are active within the West Midlands region, and
only mobile speed units are used? Does this include motorway cameras, or are they separate to
Please find below and attached our response.
Q1. West Midlands Police covers 27% of the area covered by the Central Motorway Police Group, the remaining areas are covered by Staffordshire and West Mercia Police. (Please also see attached map)
Q2. There are currently 4 active speed enforcement cameras on the M42
Q3. There are currently 5 active speed enforcement cameras on the M6
Q4. All of these cameras are housed in the gantries
Q5. Only variable speed limits are enforced by these cameras
Q6. Mobile, average speed and motorway cameras are currently in operation in the West Midlands.