Under the Freedom of Information Act, I request access to the following records and information:
- The number of a) Police officers and b) civilian employees that have been convicted for breaches of Data Protection Act 1998.
- The number of a) Police officers and b) civilian employees that have had their employment terminated for breaches of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The number of a) Police officers and b) civilian employees that have been disciplined internally for breaches of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The number of a) Police officers and b) civilian employees that have resigned during disciplinary procedures 1998.
- The number of instances where a breach has not led to any disciplinary action.
In each case, I request that you provide a list of the offences committed by the individual(s) in question, for example “Accessed personal information for personal interest” or “Inappropriately shared victim information with a third party”.
I request that the time period covered is 1st January 2016 to the date this request is processed.
Please find attached our response.
Every effort is made to ensure that the figures presented are accurate and complete. However, it is important to note that these data have been extracted from a number of data sources used by forces for police purposes. The detail collected to respond specifically to your request is subject to the inaccuracies inherent in any large scale recording system. As a consequence, care should be taken to ensure data collection processes and their inevitable limitations are taken into account when interpreting those data.
The figures provided therefore are our best interpretation of relevance of data to your request, but you should be aware that the collation of figures for ad hoc requests may have limitations and this should be taken into account when those data are used.
If you decide to write an article / use the enclosed data we would ask you to take into consideration the factors highlighted in this document so as to not mislead members of the public or official bodies, or misrepresent the relevance of the whole or any part of this disclosed material.