I am emailing from the charity Acid Survivors Trust International to kindly request statistics on corrosive fluid offences recorded in the West Midlands area. Statistics like these are integral to our work in seeking to prevent future attacks.
- I would like to request the number of offences where the feature code ‘CB – Noxious or corrosive fluid used e.g. acid thrown’ is recorded on the crime log between 1stJanuary 2017 and 31st December 2017 inclusive, broken down by month where possible; and
- The percentage and or number of said offences mentioned in 1. that were recorded as Violent Offences within the category ‘Violence Against the Person’ also broken down by month; and
- Where available the percentage and or number of said offences mentioned in 1. that were flagged as Hate Crimes also broken down by month; and
- The ethnicity, age and gender of victims of the said Violent Offences mentioned in 2. broken down by month; and
- The ethnicity, age and gender of suspects in the said Violent Offences mentioned in 2. broken down by month; and
- The outcomes of the said Violent Offences mentioned in 2. broken down by month; and
- Of the said positive outcomes mentioned in 6. the ethnicity, age and gender of suspects broken down by month.
I am writing to inform you that we have searched our records and the information you requested is not held by West Midlands Police. We do not record information in relation to feature code CB – Noxious or corrosive fluid. Acid attacks are recorded under the weapons list as Acid – Boiling Water – Cigarette-Burning. Please see the following links to our disclosure log where we have provided data by using this search. Please note this data is the closest we hold to your request.
For further information and data on West Midlands Police see our publication scheme and disclosure log
Your attention is drawn to your right to request a re-examination of your case under West Midlands Police review procedure, which can be found at:
Please note that such an appeal must be received within 20 working days of the date of this correspondence. Any such request received after this time will only be considered at the discretion of the FOI Unit.
If you require any further information, then please do not hesitate to contact me.