Al Furqan School:
The management of the school refused to be interviewed by Birmingham Education Department /Audit function or the independent inspectors in respect of allegations of serious financial mismanagement /misuse of funds. It is understood that West Midlands Police have dropped investigation on the grounds of ‘not in the interest of social cohesion’.
Can you please advise:
1) has a request been made for West Midlands Police to investigate these allegations
2) who made the request and when
3) did those reporting the allegations provide evidence of their concerns
4) have West Midlands interviewed any current or former members of staff or governors or independent executive board about the allegations
5) which current or former members of staff or governors or independent executive board members have been interviewed.
6) who has assessed the strength of the evidence and was there sufficient evidence to prosecute
7) who has made the decision that no action is to be taken on the basis not of evidence but social cohesion
8) as a result of the decision not to take action, has any communication been made to those making the allegations, to those implicated in the allegations
9) are any sanctions proposed or have been taken against the alleged perpetrators
10) do any of the alleged perpetrators have any links to Tahir Alam and the Muslim groups identified in the Trojan Horse investigations
11) what was the alleged monetary value at risk in the alleged mismanagement/misuse of public funds
12) has any money been recovered or is being pursued for repayment
13) did any of the school’s money go towards activity/projects abroad.
14) who owns any assets including buildings of any type purchased/financed via the school funds which were subject to the allegations
We have searched for recorded information regarding your request for information and have attached an extract of meeting minutes and an email from Chief Superintendent Stephen Graham (SG). However, while the majority of the information is attached, this letter serves as a Refusal Notice under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the Act) for the parts of the document that have been redacted.
In this case, the information is exempt by virtue of Section 31(1)(a)(b) (Law Enforcement).
This exemptions and explanatory notes are shown here:
In line with the above, I am required to complete a Prejudice Test/Public Interest Test (PIT) on disclosure. Please find this PIT attached (3497_Public_Interest_Test).