Please can we have 5 year accident data for the area shown in the attached plan. Please could we have as much of the following data as is possible:
1) Plot of accident locations
2) Date and time (Over a period of the last available 60 months)
3) Weather and Lighting Conditions
4) Number and type of vehicles involved
5) Severity (Slight, Serious, Fatal) – (we only need injury accidents)
6) An OS Grid reference
7) Brief Description of what occurred
8) And anything else you feel relevant
Please be advised that all of the information that you have requested is not available in a readily retrievable format. We are only able to electronically extract data from 2015 onwards, as to retrieve information prior to this would require a manual review of paper records.
With regard to your specific questions, please see the below points:
1) “Plot of accident locations” – we are unable to provide this, however, this information is available on Crash Map up until 2018 (https://www.crashmap.co.uk/)
7) “Brief Description of what occurred” – this information is only created as a free text entry on our systems – the summary of each accident is not recorded in terms of categories. To manually categorise these would involve a level of interpretation, however, to consider the release of these free text entries in their original format would require the consideration of exemptions Section 30 (Investigations) and Section 40 (Personal information)
8) “And anything else you feel relevant” – the FOI Act applies to recorded information only, therefore, we are unable to provide opinion or speculation as to any additional recorded information that you may require
The cost of providing you with all the information requested is above the amount to which we are legally required to respond i.e. the cost of locating and retrieving the information exceeds the ‘appropriate level’ as stated in the Freedom of Information (Fees and Appropriate Limit) Regulations 2004.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000, this letter acts as a Refusal Notice for this part of the request and if one part of a request exceeds the fees limit then S12 of the Act applies to the whole request.
Further information on section 12 of FOI is available here:
However, in accordance with Section 16 of the Act I have a duty to provide advice and assistance in relation to your request and have provided the information requested for questions 2) to 6) as this was retrieved during our initial research. Please find this attached.
This should not be taken as a precedent that additional information would be supplied outside of the time/fees legislation for any subsequent requests.